Monday, April 1, 2013

The last week

Tired. Exhausted. Thankful. Somewhat relaxing...

I actually didn't think I would see 39 weeks. The high risk doc thought I would be in labor around week 32, my ob was betting on week 38. And here I am week 39, day 2.

I am doing ok. I don't mind so much these last few days. But I didn't realize how hard Spring Break was going to be with two kids home going stir crazy.

What is really getting me is the on and off again contractions. Sometimes I can just feel them and they are annoying. Other times (most often) they are a bit stronger and make me pause what I am doing while I wait for that 45-60 seconds to pass, then move on about my business until another one strikes. More rarely they are actually painful painful and make me wonder if this is it. But those ones usually aren't the ones that are regular. The mild to moderate ones are regular.

I guess if the harder ones were regular, I wouldn't be here.

I told my ob that he would flip from being transverse to head down - I was right. I told him I would go into labor despite the baby being so high - I did with Leif after all. But as AB pointed out I was also 41 weeks exactly and there was no fluid left. This baby is different. (As they all are.)

What I hadn't expected, which I have heard people say before, is how exahausting the off/on contractions are. I hate leaving the house because I don't know where I am going to get stuck having moderate contractions. And well, I hate leaving the house because I kind of just want to hibernate in even though it is spring. So I have spent much of my time the last two weeks in the house - which is amazingly getting somewhat picked up and organized.

Everyone has wonderful advice - I have heard from a few people to eat pineapple. And I would. I would chow down on pineapple and grapefruit if my heartburn weren't wrecking such havoc. This child has to have uber-long hair. I am on both a prescription medication as well as Tums 2-3 times a day in some effort to reign in the heartburn. So no pineapple for me.

Red raspberry leaf tea. Umm hmm.

Walking - well if I weren't having such horrible sciatica/PGP that makes it near impossible for me to even walk to my kitchen on a regular basis and occasionally requiring me to get my husband's help to even go to the restroom, then yes, I would be walking (as I did with the other two).

I guess I don't have a whole lot of faith in all the home options to get labor going since I did these with my other two and they were both "overdue".

Tomorrow I go into my ob's office - an appointment I thought I wouldn't see! And I expect to get the dreaded induction appointment. I am fine with that. I had to be induced with Skadi as my water broke, my contractions were going nowhere, she was shoulder presentation and it was a last ditch effort before succumbing to c-section. It worked and I had a good labor and delivery. I am not a granola birther... give me the drugs, I want a pleasant awake experience witnessing my children coming into the world.

1 comment:

  1. I do hope you realize my suggestions have all been in jest - I've yet to hear of something reliably working. I so feel for you, though. The pain and heartburn must be brutal right now.

    You will be through all of this very, very soon, though!

    ReplyDelete